Couples Therapy / Marriage Counseling
IS IT TIME FOR PROFESSIONAL HELP?
The relationship with a romantic partner can be a great source of happiness and support. It can also be a great source of pain. It is important to determine if your relationship might need professional help.
If one or more of the following seem familiar to you; it is time to take action to improve your relationship.
- Do you feel you are living like roommates?
- Do conversations turn into arguments filled with criticisms, defensiveness and personal attacks?
- Has an affair turned your relationship upside down?
- Do you avoid each other in order to avoid fighting?
- Are there frequent disagreements about money, division of household chores, parenting, or in-laws ?
- Do you wonder what happened to the intimacy and passion you used to share?
- Has sex become an issue? Too much, not enough, too routine?
- Do you feel hopeless and unsure if there is any way forward?
- Are there trust issues such as hiding cell phone/texting; suspicious absences?
- Are you thinking of moving your relationship to the next level such as moving in together or getting married and want to talk through common stumbling blocks couples find themselves in?
A lack of skills is the main problem for most couples
This lack of skills frequently shows up in the areas of communication, anger management, conflict resolution, commitment and intimacy skills. You don’t know what you don’t know and you missed the course in Relationship Skills 101 in college. Therefore, you don’t know how to successfully resolve ongoing resentments; anger; verbal abuse; betrayal of trust; cheating or other infidelity related issues; and distance or lack of closeness in your relationship.
The good news is that these skills can be taught to motivated couples.